Dive into ten frequently asked questions about boating day trips in Bali. These honest answers can help you easily plan a fun-filled day on the water with friends or family.
1. Where are the best places in Bali for snorkelling and fishing day trips?
- Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Penida, east Bali
- Amed and Tulamben, northeast Bali
- Menjangan Island, northwest Bali
The best snorkelling and diving areas are offshore, so opt for a private boat charter to guide you. Not far from Bali, Nusa Lembongan is a popular island to visit for snorkelling, sightseeing and lunch on land.
2. What kind of fish and sea life can you see in Bali?
- Butterfly Fish, Lion Fish, Parrot Fish and Angelfish
- Striped Ribbon Sweetlips Fish, Oriental Sweetlips Fish
- Triggerfish, Surgeonfish and Pufferfish
- Endangered Hawksbill and Green Sea Turtles
- Blue Ribbon Eel, Yellow, White and Giant Moray Eels
- Reef Octopus and Dolphins
- Vivid living corals, Nudibranch, Anemone and Starfish
These are just a few of the exciting sights you can expect. SCUBA divers are also attracted to deeper waters around Bali to observe Mola Mola (Giant Sunfish) and gentle Manta Rays. The entire archipelago of Indonesia is a world-famous destination for snorkelling and diving.
3. What kind of fish can you catch in Bali?
- Leather Jacket Fish
Fishing from a boat by trolling or using fishing rods are the best ways to catch ocean fish around Bali and you can also try coral fishing, too.
4. When is the best time to go boating in Bali?
- Weather is usually best from April to November
- Bali’s rainier months are December through March
- Get an early start in the morning
- Arrive back to shore well before sundown
Any day when the ocean is calm and the sky is clear will give you the best conditions for fishing and swimming. Postponing a trip due to rainy weather or choppy water is wise to ensure a fun day out.
5. What kind of boats are common in Bali?
- Speedboat or luxury motor yacht
- Sailing catamaran
- Traditional Indonesian wooden vessel
- Large capacity ferry or party boat
- Jet ski, canoe and kayak
Chartering a captained speedboat is the smart way to go for a fishing or snorkelling trip. It’s safest and frees you up to enjoy activities with your group. For most small private boat charters, you can expect to ride in a vessel with 2-4 Suzuki or Yamaha engines and with capacity for 6-10 people including the crew.
6. What is the price of a private Lembongan snorkelling tour?
- All-inclusive charters cost roughly USD$350-700 per day
- As little as USD$50 per person
- Depends on the size of your group
- Luxury yacht cruises priced at premium rates
The price for a day out with a private boat charter or yacht rental varies based on the number of people in your group, the vessel and the expertise of the tour outfit.
7. What is included with an 8-hour fishing trip?
- Pick up and drop off
- Fishing equipment and ice cooler
- Snorkelling masks and fins
- Drinking water and soft drinks
Most tour operators include door to door service, snorkel gear and drinking water at a minimum. For anything else you’d want, just ask!
8. What should you bring along for a snorkelling tour?
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, sunhats that don’t blow away
- Sarongs, towels, dry clothes for the drive home
- Underwater camera or GoPro
- Plastic bags (for dry clothes, cell phones and personal items)
- Snacks and drinks
- Cash (for your lunch, tour and tipping)
Prepare for your day trip ahead of time and get an early start. The early morning car ride is a perfect time to make introductions and talk about the day ahead – ask questions and make a quick stop if you’ve forgotten anything essential.
All over the world, coral reefs are suffering the devastating effects of pollution. Using plastic minimally and disposing of waste responsibly are two small ways to keep the reefs healthy for generations to come.
9. Is Bali a safe place for kids to go snorkelling?
- Boat trips are best for kids aged 10 and up
- Not recommended for anyone who cannot swim
- Wearing safety jackets is optional, but advised
- Ask for children’s snorkelling masks and fins
Tours with experienced local guides are the safest way for everyone to enjoy a day of snorkelling in the tropics.
10. How can you book a day cruise with fishing and snorkelling at Lembongan island?
- GP Bali Tour
- Bali Boat Trip
- Pulau Luxury Charters
From our own personal experiences, we can recommend these professional companies for you and your friends and family to experience a great day at sea. Contact them directly for booking or request assistance from your Villa Manager, who’d be more than happy to arrange your trip.
Going boating around Bali like a seasoned pro only takes a little bit of preparation, and it just might be the highlight of your holiday.